Notice of Race as PDF
Fatsnet Race 50 th edition starts 22nd of Juli 2023
The Royal Ocean Racing Club:
“…the start gun will fire on what will be the most significant, historic edition of the world’s largest offshore yacht race. Setting sail from Cowes on Saturday 22nd July 2023 will be the 50th edition of the Royal Ocean Racing Club’s Rolex Fastnet Race.”
For Sailaway we set up races for all Sailaway boats.
- THE RACE
- The Fastnet Race race will be conducted using the virtual sailing game Sailaway in its latest installment
- The Fastnet Race will start on July 22nd 2023 with the warning signal of the first Race at 11:50 UTC and start at 12:00 UTC
- The Fastnet Race will be conducted in separate divisions by sail mode and boat class and skipper group. Divisions will be announced in the Sailaway game, Discord channel, and on the website of the Sailaway race.
Fastnet race classes
- All The Sailaway Fastnet Race races will suspend racing the last leg of the respective prologue race no later than July 31st 2023 14:00 UTC. Boats that have not finished will be scored as per position at that time the race is suspended.
- Races will be start as following:
Mini Transat class N 11:00
Mini Transat class A 11:20
IMOCA class N 12:00
IMOCA class A 12:20
IMOCA class M 12:40
cruiser class Folkboat, Caribbean Rose, Ketch 13:00
cruiser-racer class 32′ off-shore racer, 38′ ocean cruiser, 50′ performance cruiser, 52′ catamaran 13:20
- Starts may be postponed to a start time later that same day, without further notice.
- There may be more races than mentioned in NOR 2.1 without further notice.
- Races will be published in Sailaway more than 24 hrs before the preparatory signal.
- Races will be start as following:
- The course for the Fastnet Race is from the start line to the Fastnet rock and back to the finish line in Cherbourg. There are no further marks.
- Courses will be published on Sailaway, however can be changed up to 1 hr before the start.
- Boats will join or re-join the race 60 minutes before the start. Boats not complying may be expelled from the race by the Race Organizers.
This Notice of Race can be amended. Amendments will be published on the Sailaway Discord server and/or the race website
- A boat is sailed by a crew of one or more e-sailors. When racing e-sailors can be part of only one crew.
- Registration will be completed by entering the races in Sailaway later than 60 minutes before the start..
- By registration the e-sailor accepts the Rules and Regulations that govern the Sailaway Fastnet Race.
- There is no registration fee.
- Documents, or links to public locations of those documents, governing The Fastnet Race will be published on the Sailaway Discord server and are available for download from The Fastnet Race website. https://e-offshore-racing.com/index.php/fastnet-race/
- The Sailaway Fastnet Race is governed by the rules as defined in Sailing World Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) and the Sailing Instructions (SI) for the Sailaway Fastnet Race to be published no later than 14 days before the start of Leg1.
- By registering to participate in the Sailaway Fastnet Race, e-sailors accept the rules and terms of the race as set out in this Notice of Race and set out in the Sailaway Fastnet Race Sailing Instructions.
- If an e-sailor behaves in a way that contradicts the rules and terms of engagement set out in this Notice of Race, or those set out in The Fastnet Race Sailing Instructions. The Race Organizer has the right to remove the e-sailor.
- Individual e-sailors are not allowed more than one boat per Skipper Alias to participate in the race.
- BOAT CLASS
- The race will be conducted in the IMOCA, Mini Transat, Folkboat, Caribbean Rose, Ketch, cruiser-racer class 32′ off-shore racer, 38′ ocean cruiser, 50′ performance cruiser, 52′ catamaran.
- CLASS DIVISIONS
- Full Manual: Boat handling in online mode will be fully manually in races designated M, Full Manual. Autopilot can be set to either to steer a compass course or to steer by maintaining true wind angle.
- M: In offline mode speed will be reduced to 88.5% of the nominal speed under the conditions at that time (11.5% penalty). Steering by autopilot in off-line mode can be by autopilot following way-points set by the e-sailor.
- Automatic: Boat handling in online mode can be 100% automated as per e-sailor setting in races designated M, A, A0, Auto Trim. Autopilot can be set to either to steer a compass course or to steer by maintaining true wind angle, both online or off-line, by waypoints only when off-line.
- A: In races designated A, sailing off line is for emergencies only. In offline mode speed will be reduced to 88.5% of the nominal speed under the conditions at that time (11.5% penalty)
- A0: In races designated A0 sailing off line is not penalized. In offline mode speed will be 100.0% of the nominal speed under the conditions at that time (0% penalty)
- N: In races designated N sailing off line is not penalized. In offline mode speed will be 105 % of the nominal speed under the conditions at that time (5% bonus)
- Individual races are scored by low points As per Sailing World Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS)
- ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
- There is no age restriction on registering for the Sailaway Fastnet Race. If an e-sailor under the age of 18 years old qualifies for prices, any prices must be accepted by a parent or legal guardian who must consent to the event rules and the acceptance of the prices.
- MEDIA RIGHTS
- By participating in an event of The Fastnet Race, e-sailors automatically grant to the organizers, Sailaway developers Orbcreation b.v and their sponsors, the right in perpetuity to make, use and show, from time to time at their discretion, any live, taped or filmed reproductions, in game video streams and of the e-sailor during the period of The Fastnet Race without compensation.
- Sailing Instructions (SI) for The Fastnet Race will present changes to the Sailing World Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS).
- For technical queries about the Sailaway game, contact the Sailaway developers Orbcreation b.v at https://sailaway.world/
- For other queries about the SailAway Fastnet Race, including feedback on the Racing Rules of Sailing, please contact The SailAway Fastnet Race organizer(s) through the Sailaway Discord server or the race website.
- CODE OF CONDUCT
- e-sailors must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner, maintaining a friendly and polite demeanor to spectators, members of the press, other e-sailors, The SailAway Fastnet Race organizers, Sailaway developers Orbcreation b.v employees and World Sailing. All e-sailors are expected to adhere to the standards of good sportsmanship.
- e-sailors and support persons shall comply with any reasonable request from the organizers and Sailaway developers Orbcreation b.v employees.
- Race organizers may reduce or remove a prize in the case of misconduct or refusal to comply with any reasonable request.
- This document is licensed under
CC BY: This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, so long as attribution is given to the creator. The license allows for commercial use.
Races will be start as following:
Mini Transat N 11:00
Mini Transat A 11:20
50th Fastnet Race IMOCA class N
for IMOCA 60
Cowes – Fastnet Rock – Cherbourg
off line racing 112 % offline efficiency (12 % offline BONUS )